You have entered your final month as a baby. In a few short weeks you will officially be a pretoddler and I have to be honest and say that I am really sad about that. I am missing your baby days with a passion (even though they were really tough at times) and wish I could freeze time! But I will say, 11 months is the perfect age - you are coming alive! You understand so much of what we say, you are more adorable than ever, you are content most of the time, and to top it all off you are sleeping so much better! My sweet baby, please stop growing up. Do you hear me? It wasn't long ago that I could hold your entire body in my arms, but these days holding you at all is nearly impossible. You just can't wait to get down and GO!
You are such a joy and so full of life. I spend many hours just staring at you each day. When you catch me staring, you light up. Your smile melts my heart. You giggle and "talk" in your own little language and I forget all about the sleepless nights and napless days. Who needs sleep when you have a healthy, smiley baby to play with everyday?
It's been a tough month in our house. You have been sick since the beginning of January and are currently finishing up your second round of antibiotics for a double ear infection that just won't go away. Thankfully you seem to be feeling a lot better and all that remains is the snotty nose, which I have decided will most likely stay until spring hits.
Here are your 11 month stats:
- I haven't weighed you yet, but the last time we went to the doctor, on Jan. 20, you were 20lbs. 13oz. so I imagine you are at least 21lbs by now. You wear mostly 12 month clothes, although you can still wear some 9 month stuff and are starting to fit in some 18 month stuff....go figure. You wear a size 3 or 4 shoe (you really don't ever wear shoes, but we have a couple pairs). And you are still in a size 4 diaper, however I may need to move you up another size at night because you are soaking through the 4s. Yikes!
- You are still a champion nurser, but we did drop one nursing this past month, so you are down to 3 per day - 7am, 3:30pm and 7pm. I didn't realize how much I would dread the day that I have to stop nursing you. I thought I would be ready by 11-12 months, but now I'm just not so sure.
- You dance all the time! This is probably my favorite thing you do these days. Maybe it's because I took dance lessons for 10+ years or maybe it's just because you look so adorable when you shake from side to side with your hands in the air. I can't wait to take you to your first dance lesson.
- You are not standing on your own or walking at all, but I'm okay with that. I'm in no rush for you to be a walker. I am loving every minute of the crawling and cruising stage! I have no doubt that you will be walking soon enough. For now you love to stand holding onto anything and everything, and you love to stand on your tip-toes most of the time. This, of course, is because you are a ballerina in training. ;-)
- You understand so many words - dada, mama, dog, bubbles, clap, wave, kiss, how big is Hannah?, no, night-night, eat, milk, hug, and many more - but you aren't saying anything other than dada still. Although every time you see Bubbles you make a funny sound that almost sounds like buhbuh, so maybe you are saying more than we think.
- You can sign "milk" and "duck", but not always in the right context. I think you do "duck" kind of on accident, but it still counts in my book. And "milk" seems to be a universal sign that means milk, all done, and eat.
- My favorite time of day with you is right before bedtime. You get so giggly and silly. I guess it's a result of being tired, but it is adorable. Every little thing sets you off and you just laugh and laugh. Let me tell you how much better that is then the days where you would scream and scream in the evening hours. Much appreciated! :-)
- You eat all kinds of things - squash, zucchini, onions, spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, black beans, blueberries, beef, chicken, turkey meatballs, pasta, bread, hummus, mangoes, peaches, apples (finally!), bananas, black-eyed peas, and SO much more! I have started giving you mostly finger foods, which is a lot easier. And you definitely prefer to feed yourself most of the time - although sometimes you refuse to lift a finger and want me to spoon feed you your entire meal. I'm okay with that - it just means you are still my baby!
- You go to bed at 7pm and wake up at 7am (almost exactly). You take two naps every day, at 9am and 1pm. They are almost always 30 minutes or less, but I make you stay in your crib for a full hour each time. You are not a huge fan of that and are sure to make your displeasure known. I hate to hear you scream and cry, but mommy needs that hour break and you need the "rest" (if you can call it that). The other day you actually slept for almost 2 hours during your afternoon nap - that was AMAZING! Maybe you will be a better napper one day....and maybe not.
- You still only have 2 teeth - the bottom two. Again, I am in no rush for you to get more. I know they will come in one day, but until then I will enjoy that you are not able to cause much pain when you decide to bite down while nursing. ;-)
- You clap, wave, give high fives, give kisses and hugs, play peek-a-boo, and love to show us how big you are (SO BIG!).
- You just started a new game where you will lay your head down (on me or on the floor) as I say, "Night Night". Then you pop your head back up as I say, "Good Morning". Adorable!