Thursday, January 6, 2011

2010 Summary

I saw this survey on a blog that I have been following since I found out I was pregnant - Baby Dickey - and thought it was a good way to sum up 2010.  Enjoy!


1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
- So much!!  Birthed a child (unmedicated, I might add!), nursed a child for 9.5 months (and still going), did everything required to keep a newborn alive and raise her to be a healthy and happy 9 month old, became a MOM!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- I don't remember making any last year (not a big resolution fan), but this year I did feel a sense of renewal and have been determined to be more intentional with my time.  I'm not sure that doing a survey like this is very "intentional", but I figured it would be an insightful way to summarize the last year of my life.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
- ME!  And several of my close friends - Amy, Lindsay, Asheley, Heather, Lindsay (another one), and more...

4. Did anyone close to you die?
- Thankfully, no

5. What countries did you visit?
- Definitely didn't make it out of the country, but did make it to several different place - NYC, Flagler Beach (3 times), Panama City (3 times), Siesta Key, and probably other places I am forgetting.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
- More time to enjoy with family and friends - 2010 was ALL about the baby and I want 2011 to be more about the world outside of these four walls!

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- March 11 - Hannah was born!!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Delivering my first child without any medications (not even a tylenol people!)
- Succesfully nursing my child for 9.5 months (and counting)
- Keeping her alive for 9.5 months (and counting!!)

9. What was your biggest failure?
- I wouldn't call it a failure, but I do feel like I didn't get to enjoy Hannah's newborn stage like I thought I would because I was so concerned with her schedule and making sure she did 'xyz' every day.  I was definitely obsessed with that (and still am, if I let myself be).

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
- A cold here and there, but nothing serious.  Recovering from my labor was illness enough!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
- Our new camera (Nikon D3100) - just have to figure out how to use it in a mode other than auto now!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
- Brian's!  He has been the most amazing husband and father!  During my labor he was unbelievable!  He didn't even sit down for 8+ hours and was by my side the entire time.  He was the best father right from the beginning - so involved and just in love.  He would wake up with me in the middle of night when Hannah would cry and come into her room with me while I nursed her.  He was my rock!  He was understanding of my crazy hormones and listened to me cry over the silliest things.  I wouldn't have made it this past year without his amazing support!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- No one I can think of

14. Where did most of your money go?
- Hannah!

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- All of Hannah's milestones: smiling, laughing, rolling over, sitting up, crawling, pulling up, sleeping through the night!

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
- "Goodnight Sweetheart" - I sing it to Hannah every time I put her down for a nap or at night

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner
c) richer or poorer? Probably about the same - nah, poorer because we are remodeling our kitchen soon! ;-)

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Spent more time with friends, but babies make things so much more complicated!

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Wasting time

20. How did you spend Christmas?
- In Panama City with Brian's family

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
- Absolutely!  Hannah has made me understand God's love for me in a whole new way.  I am madly in love with that baby!!

22. What was your favorite TV program?
- We became DVR junkies this year, so we watched a lot of shows (that's what happens when you have a baby that has to be in bed by 8pm) - Top faves were Modern Family and The Middle

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- I don't hate anyone - I might not like their choices or actions, but I don't hate them.

24. What was the best book you read?
- I don't think I read any books in 2010 (besides children's and parenting books)...sad

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
- Hmmm....not sure.  I think I knew about him in 2009, but Mat Kearney became a BIG fave this year.  We went to the most amazing concert at Eddie's Attic in the summer and were blown away!

26. What did you want and get?
- Hannah!
- Our new camera
- Lots of baby things

27. What did you want and not get?
- Nothing...I mean there are things that I would like to have, but nothing that I need.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
- I don't even know if we went to the theater once in 2010.  I know I saw the new(er) movie with Katherine Heigel about raising a baby, but I can't even remember who I was with or where we were.  It was cute, but definitely not the best movie I saw.  We just watched Inception a few weeks ago and that was good.  But there really wasn't a stand out movie that I saw this year.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
- I turned 28!!  At first I wrote 27 because there is no way I am 28, but I am!!  Yikes!  Brian's parents were in town on my birthday and we went out to dinner at Maggiano's (technically I think we went out the night before my birthday). 

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- It was overal a wonderful year!!  But if Hannah has been born a natural sleeper, that would have made my stress level a lot less! ;-)

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
- Whatever fits and is clean and comfy.  I spent the majority of 2010 on the floor with a drooly, reflux baby!  Fashion wasn't really in my vocabulary.

32. What kept you sane?
- Brian, my mom, my playgroup girls!!!

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- No one I can think of

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
- Political issue??  I don't even watch the news, I hate politics!  I only want to know the stuff that impacts me directly and that I can do something about.  If something is going on that I have no control over, I want nothing to do with it.  What's the point??

35. Who did you miss?
- Family!  I hate that we live so far away from everyone.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
- My playgroup girls!  Heather, Asheley and Lindsay, I don't know what I would have done these past few months without you!!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
- Take things one day at a time. 
- Life flies by, so enjoy every second. 
- Everything with a baby is a phase!

2 comments:

  1. :) Sounds like it was a good year!
    I like your #37 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.... how many surveys did we used to do?!?! Ahhh! I loved your survey and I agree about seeing your friends more ;), not like I am helping that situation any either, haha. Even if we don't get to see each other as much as we might like, I am always a phone call away! I love you and Hannah and Brian (not in a creepy way though). :)

    ReplyDelete