Friday, February 10, 2012

Pregnancy: 21 Weeks and THE NAME!



It was a very exciting week!  We had the big 20 week ultrasound (anatomy scan) and everything looked perfect.  We feel very blessed!  We also announced her name (we have known it for several weeks now, but wanted to wait to be 100% sure she was a SHE!)  Her name is Emma Rose.  Emma was my great-grandmother's name (on my mom's side) and Rose was Brian's great-grandmother's name (on his dad's side).  So not only do we love the name, but it also has significance! :-)

Here's what's going on this week....

What's going on with the baby right now?
-She is the size of a large banana or carrot.
-According to our ultrasound she weighs 12oz right now (definitely on the bigger side).  This just proves that you have absolutely no control over how big your baby will be.  My body was starving for months (23 pounds lost, remember?), yet the baby didn't suffer at all.  It truly is amazing!
-She is about 10.5" head to toe

What's going on with me?
-I am very close to my pre-pregnancy weight!  Only 4 pounds to go.  So that means I gained 2 pounds in the last week.  I seriously need to slow this weight gain down now!!  But it makes me feel better to know that at this point with Hannah I was 10 pounds heavier.  Maybe I can avoid gaining nearly 50 pounds like I did with her!  YIKES!
-This week I was very uncomfortable.  It is hard to find a comfy position to sit or lay in and I am already struggling to breath at times.  I feel huge already! 
-Nausea and heartburn are still ever present.  The nausea tapers off throughout the day (thankfully!) but then the heartburn starts at night.  No rest for the weary. ;-)  Still taking reglan every morning for the nausea, but nothing for the heartburn yet.  I threw up at least 2 times this week, which was not fun.  And spent the entire day Sunday on the couch.  I felt awful.  It scared me that I might be slipping back into the severe hyperemesis days.  But thankfully I felt a lot better on Monday!
-I wore my first pair of maternity jeans this week.  They are still HUGE, but I'm in that in between stage where my pants are starting to get too tight and maternity pants are too big.  So today I did the old hair tire around the button trick on my normal jeans.  We'll see how long that lasts.
-I had a lot more energy this week, despite not being able to sleep well.  I toss and turn all night and struggle to fall asleep in the first place. 
-Still lots of movement from the baby!  Still mostly at night and Brian is feeling her a lot more now. 
-Next appointment: March 5th for the diabetes screening

A little more info about the ultrasound this week...it was great.  It was so incredibly detailed.  I loved every second of seeing our little Emma dance around on the screen.  She was moving a ton and had her little hands up by her face for most of the time.  She was rubbing her eyes and even sucking her thumb at one point.  Adorable!  She had her little legs crossed at the ankles and at one point was stretching out her little toes.  We were able to see all the parts of the brain and heart, as well as the umbilical cord and diaphragm.  It was amazing.  Everything looked just as it should and we were so thankful.  After recently finding out about so many unborn babies with medical problems, I was feeling so blessed to have a healthy baby growing inside of me.  It really is a miracle!

We also booked a hospital tour for April.  It seemed a little silly booking one, but they have a family tour, so I thought that would be good for Hannah.  However, we are all so familiar with the hospital (after Hannah's birth and my two stays earlier in this pregnancy) that it still seems silly.  But hopefully it won't be a complete waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment