Thursday, March 18, 2010

1 Week Old



Hannah is one week old today!  Hard to believe, yet at the same time it seems like she has been here forever!  Weird! ;-)  This week has been full of ups and downs.  Hannah is so beautiful and gets prettier with each passing day!  She is generally a happy baby (except during her fussy times - dinner time and after her 2am feeding) and sleeps a lot!  (They all do that at this young age!)  She has wiggled her way into our hearts and we look forward to watching her grow!  Being a parent is a HUGE responsibilty and that reality has made this week a bit of an emotional one for me.  Since we tried to conceive for so long (2 years) I always thought that once I had a baby I would just be so thrilled that I wouldn't have to worry about any "baby blues", but boy was I wrong.  Apparently, it doesn't matter how long you try or how much you think you are ready...bringing home a baby is a HUGE transition and many emotions go along with that.  If you think about, please pray for me as I continue to struggle with the changes. 

In the past week we have seen lots of changes in Hannah....
  • Weight: 8 lb. 2 oz. (birth), 7 lb. 5 oz (2 days old), 7 lb. 6 oz. (4 days old)
  • Length: 20 inches (birth), 20 1/4 inches (4 days old)
  • She has smiled a few times and not just from gas....she smiled when MeeMaw was tickling her chin (several times)
  • She has really big dimples! :-)  And a cute button nose!
  • She can track her rattle with her whole head when we shake it in front of her (though not every time)
  • She can lift her neck and turn her head from side to side when on her tummy (so strong!)
  • She loves to be held!
  • She slept through the night for the first time at 5 days old!!  7 hours straight!  What a special gift for mommy and daddy!!  This special treat hasn't been repeated, but we are hopeful! :)
  • She is giving us lots of dirty diapers to clean up!  The first few days home she wasn't having any dirty diapers, which gave us a scare (and an unnecessary trip to the ER...opps) but she is making up for that now!
  • She is a good feeder in general, but has a little trouble latching on.  From what I have read about breastfeeding babies, she is a "gourmet" nurser.  She likes to play around and take a few tastes before finally settling in for a good feeding.  But once she starts, she feeds for 10-20 minutes on each side and is so content after her feedings.
Hannah is a special gift from the Lord and we are so blessed to have her in our lives!  Thank you all for the many prayers for her (from before she was conceived until after her birth!)  It means so much to us to know that there are people praying for our little family of three!  Please continue to pray for us! 

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying for you! It is a huge change, so I'll be praying specifically for grace for you. I was an emotional basket case when Aiden was born, I can relate... Just keep going, before you know it you guys will have a great rhythm and you will really be able to enjoy the day to day stuff. :) Feel free to call or email me if you need anything, and never feel bad for asking people for advice and encouragement, I don't think I could have made it without some key people encouraging me when the days (or nights) were long and I felt helpless. God has blessed you with a beautiful little girl, and you were made to be her mother! :) Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete