Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hannah Grace has arrived!

Hannah Grace was born on March 11, 2010 at 12:29pm weighing 8 lb. 2 oz. and 20 inches long. She has a head full of hair and a cute button nose! She is precious!!

Here are the details of the labor and delivery:

My labor was very painful, as I did it without any pain medications. I was induced on Wednesday night (March 10). They inserted the cervadil around 10pm and the contractions started pretty quickly. I didn't get any sleep at all because I didn't want the sleep meds. The contractions started getting stronger and coming closer together, so the nurse said that they were going to pull the cervadil early. They took it out at about 4:30am and I was 3 cm dilated. I did an enema (made me throw up too) and then took a shower to clean up. From there I don't remember many details, but things got VERY painful!! The contractions were coming fast and hard and I had bad back labor. :-( I labored in the shower for a while, on all fours, with the hot water pouring on my back. That helped a little, but it was still SOOO painful! There were definitely times that I was begging for medicine and saying "I can't do this!!" It was excrutiating! The next time I was checked I was 6-7 cm (not sure what time that was, but I think it was around 9am or so). I continued to throw up throughout the labor and the back pain was intense! Then by about 11am I was 10cm and completely thinned out. They broke my water (it never broke on its own) and told me to make sure to call them when I felt the urge to push. It took a while for that to happen. I continued to have horrible contractions and back labor. They put me in all different weird positions to try to get the baby to flip (they thought that the baby might be posterior since I was having such bad back pain). Then at about 12pm I was finally feeling the urge to push. At the beginning of this stage I was so excited! I was thanking all the nurses and midwife for being so wonderful...and I was actually looking forward to pushing her out. Little did I know that the pushing stage would be the worst part of it all! :-( Thankfully I only pushed for 30 minutes and she was out! I had a 2nd degree tear (ouch) but she was SO worth it! However, next time I will be getting the epidural! That was the most pain I have ever felt!

The best part of the delivery was that right after she came out, they put her up under my gown and let us spend about 30 minutes skin-to-skin before they took her to be cleaned up and evaluated. She is beautiful!! Daddy was histerically crying when she came out and all I could say was, "She's beautiful!"

We are now home and adjusting to our new "normal". My parents are here (thankfully) and will be until Friday, but when they leave I just don't know how I will be able to manage! Plus, when Brian goes back to work (next week) I am going to lose it! He is my rock!!

We are just taking things day by day and thanking the Lord for the amazing blessing of Hannah!  She is such a miracle!  We are SO in love!!

On our way to the hospital

Moments after the birth

Daddy is in LOVE!

Our little peanut!

The car ride home :-)

2 comments:

  1. Love hearing the details and am so glad that she is finally here!! Although I'm so sorry it was such a painful labor. And back labor too- that one I can completely relate to : ) It's awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had back labor too! I waited a long time to call my dr because I never had contractions 5 min apart like they said. I just had it all in my back. Glad that she arrived safely for both of you and TOTAL props to you for doing it drug free! My epidural didn't block all the way in my back at first so I had to get a boost. So I could only feel about 1/4 of my back and I was in so much pain I was crying. I couldn't imagine doing it without anything! Enjoy all the newborn snuggles. They pass quicker than you think!

    ReplyDelete