Friday, June 11, 2010

Marriage

We have been married for almost 6 years now, so I am definitely not a marriage expert.  But I also have 6 years under my belt and that's not nothing. ;-)  I am so in love with my husband and so thankful that the Lord chose him to be mine.  Our anniversary is coming up in August and I can hardly believe it's been 6 years.  It seems like yesterday I was walking down the aisle.  Where has the time gone?

Since having Hannah, it has been tough to find time for us.  Her schedule (6, 10, 2, 6, 10) has made it tough for us to spend quality time together.  Since she is up with us from 6pm to 10pm, one if us is almost always holding her and entertaining her while the other is cleaning up or trying to take a break for a few minutes.  We are definitely looking forward to an earlier bed time for her so we can have some one-on-one time!  I really think an early bedtime for children is crucial for a marriage.  This is your time to reconnect.  However, I will be sure to note that I also think it is important for mom and dad to have some one-on-one time while the children are awake too.  This shows the kids that mom and dad's relationship is strong and provides a sense of security for them.  Even if it's just 15 minutes on the couch talking when dad gets home from work, it's proof to the children that the marriage comes first.

Another thing that has been tough since Hannah arrived is making sure that we put our marriage first and not her.  Our marriage is our top priority.  Yes, Hannah is a VERY important part of our lives and we love her deeply, but our marriage must come first.  Our marriage is the foundation of the rest of our family.  If our marriage crumbles, so will everything else.  While it is hard to keep up with the demands of a newborn, we strive to keep each other the top priority (after our relationship with the Lord).  I realize this is a fairly controversial subject because so often moms make their children their #1 priority.  But think about it...is that really the best thing for everyone?  What happens when the children become more independent and don't rely on mom for everything?  What about when they finally move out and it's just you and your husband again?  If you have neglected your marriage for all those years, what will be left of it?

So tonight, make your spouse your top priority and see what happens.  I know for me, I can't wait for Brian to come home!  It's my favorite part of every day. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment