Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Mess Can Wait

My neck is still very sore and I have been confined to the couch for most of the day.  Thankfully Brian is here to help with Hannah.  Brian is great with Hannah and can do most everything for her (change diapers, give her a bath, change her cloths, keep her entertained,etc.) but when it comes to the house, that's another story.  When I am sick or out of commission, the house goes to pot!  It is awful.  There are dishes everywhere, laundry piling up, dirty carpets, dusty furniture....it's just awful!  Not to mention that we haven't had a home-cooked meal in quite some time.  I'm not sure if Brian doesn't see the mess or if he just doesn't care.  Either way, I am stressed out seeing the house fall apart around me.  When my house is in chaos I get very flustered.

But what about those women that seem to have it all together?  You stop at their house unannounced and it is sparkling clean.  They have several toddlers running around, but somehow manage to keep their house spotless?  How on earth do they manage that?  I want their secret!

I am the first to admit...I LOVE a clean house!  I love how it feels to climb into a bed with fresh sheets.  I love the smell of clean laundry.  I love a home-cooked meal.  I love that feeling of accomplishment.  I pride myself in a clean home.  But I also am okay with a little dirt sometimes.  I have my priorities.

I am a stay-at-home mom for a reason.  I stay home to take care of Hannah, not the house.  Yes, keeping a clean and orderly house is part of my job, but my first priority is Hannah and her care.  She will only be little for a limited amount of time.  Before long she will be grown and won't need me nearly as much.  I will have plenty of time to keep a well maintained home after she is grown.  For now, I must cherish every moment with my baby girl and if that means leaving some dishes in the sink or sitting on a floor with a little dirt, then so be it.  The mess will wait!

1 comment:

  1. Love that attitude. I'm definitely NOT one of those "got it together" moms. I'm always behind on something, and it's usually the house!

    ReplyDelete